The Institute For Spirituality & Psychological Healing (1988-1992)
Goals and Objectives of the Institute: Provide a context for support, learning and dialogue about spirituality and psychology for psychotherapists.
Conference co-sponsored by Professional Counseling Associates, MarpleNewtown Ministerium, Pastoral Counseling Services of the Marianist Center, Institute for Christian Counseling and Therapy, Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process, The Mimesis Institute, Friends Counseling Service, and C. G. Jung Center of Philadelphia, PA, October 1988.
Institute of Spirituality and Psychological Healing. Ongoing seminar series. Diverse seminars on spiritual issues in psychotherapy. First series began in the Ethical Society Building, Philadelphia, PA, Fall of 1989.
2nd Annual Conference on Spirituality and Psychological Healing, Openness to the Spirit in the Clinical Process. Co-facilitators: Ann Swain, M.S.W. and Rosemarie Collins, Ph.D. This conference spun off an ongoing study group meeting monthly as a group of psychotherapists exploring issues in spiritual growth. Friends Meeting, Philadelphia, PA, October 1989.
3rd Annual Conference on Spirituality and Psychological Healing, Psychotherapy and Eastern Thought. Co-facilitator: John Suler, Ph.D. International House, Philadelphia, PA, May 1990.
Group for the Study of Ritual. Ongoing group for the study of ritual. Co-facilitator: Regina Cudemo, M.D. 19901991.
Sex and Spirituality Conference. International House, Philadelphia, PA, November 10, 1990.
2nd Annual Conference on Psychotherapy and Eastern Thought: Clinical Issues. Co-facilitated with John Suler, Ph.D. April 1991.
Second Annual Seminar Series. 15 separate seminars. Spring 1991. Seminar Series and Retreat on Sacred Space and the Dark Feminine. Spring 1992.
The Institute For Spirituality & Psychological Healinghas co-sponsored the following events:
What to Do When the Impossible Happens: The Healing of Traumatic Grief and Loss. Cosponsored with The Family Institute of Philadelphia and The Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process. March 21, 1997.
Phoenix Rising. A conference exploring the interface of trauma and grief. Cosponsors: The Family Institute of Philadelphia and The Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process. April, 1999.
The Sacred Space and the Journey Within: Psychotherapy and Spirituality, Co sponsored by the Family Institute of Philadelphia, the Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process, and others. October, 2001.
Clergy, Churches/Synagogues And Congregations:
Personal Support and Clinical Supervision Groups for Clergy for Ministerium in:
- Havertown, 1984-1989.
- Wayne and Radnor, 1984-1987.
- Lower Merion, 1986-1988.
Social Service Agency Consultation on Clergy Relations:
- Life Guidance Services, 1984-1988.
- Family Services of Montgomery County, 1986-1987.
Lay Bereavement Care Teams:
- Workshop for laity and clergy of Methodist churches in SE Pennsylvania, 1986.
- Develop and facilitate Social Ministry Program for Community Bereavement Outreach for churches in Marple-Newtown Ministerium, 1987-1988.
- Training on loss and mourning for Lay Care team at the Hopewell Methodist Church, April 1994.
Bereavement Training Programs for Clergy:
- Training program through Mercy Catholic Medical Center, Church Relations Department, Lansdowne, PA 1987.
- Clergy symposium on Children and Death for Delaware County Memorial Hospital, November, 1987.
- Panel on hospice care/discussion leader for bereavement section of seminar, Taylor Hospital Hospice Seminar for Clergy, February, 1988.
- A Time to Grieve: Perspectives on the Mourning Process, New Jersey Clergy Association, Princeton, New Jersey, December, 1988.
Other Conferences and Seminars:
- Problems in the Mourning Process, First Presbyterian Church of Flourtown, January,1989.
- Spirituality and the Mourning Process The Source and Meaning of Spiritual Growth, Bethlehem Conference and Retreat Center Seminars at the Bethlehem Holistic Spirituality Center of Daylesford Abbey, Paoli, PA, Spring 1990.
- Healing Life’s Losses, keynote presentation for parish program at St. Denis Parish, Havertown, PA, October 1990.
- Mourning and Spirituality in Addictions and Codependency, Bethlehem Holistic Spirituality Center of Daylesford Abbey, Paoli, PA, Fall 1990.
WIDENER UNIVERSITY CENTER FOR SOCIAL WORK EDUCATION Adjunct Associate Professor,
Spirituality and Social Work (developed this course),
BRYN MAWR COLLEGE GRADUATE SCHOOL OF SOCIAL WORK AND SOCIAL RESEARCH Instructor.
Develop and teach course: Spirituality and Religion in Social Work Practice.
SPIRITUALITY AND DEATH ANXIETY, at conference “The Sacred Space and the Journey Within: Psychotherapy and Spirituality”, Sponsored by the Family Institute of Philadelphia, the Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process, and the Institute for Spirituality and Psychological Healing, October, 2001.
THE POWER OF DEATH: DEATH. MOURNING AND THE FACE OF GOD, A psychospiritual phenomenology of the mourning process. Spirituality and Psychological Healing: An Opportunity for Dialogue, cosponsored by Professional Counseling Associates, MarpleNewtown Ministerium, Pastoral Counseling Services of the Marianist Center, Institute for Christian Counseling and Therapy, Study Group for Contemporary Psychoanalytic Process, the Mimesis Institute, Friends Counseling Service, and C. G. Jung Center of Philadelphia, PA, October 1988.
DEATH AND GOD: EXPLORATIONS OF THE SOURCE AND MEANING OF SPIRITUAL GROWTH, Association for Death Education and Counseling, Annual Conference, Baltimore, MD, April 1989.
A PHILOSOPHICAL PHENOMENOLOGY OF CONSCIOUSNESS AND THE AWARENESS OF MORTALITY, Scholarly Paper ADEC, Pittsburgh, April 1996.
SPIRITUAL ISSUES IN SEXUAL ADDICTION, Institute for Spirituality and Psychological Healing, May 1990.
THE SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE OF THE BARDO THODOL AND THE MOURNING PROCESS, scholarly paper. ADEC Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, March 1990.
THE SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE OF BARDO THODOL AND THE MOURNING PROCESS, Spirituality and Psychological Healing, Conference on Psychotherapy and Eastern Thought, May 1990.
Death and God: The Source and Meaning of Spiritual Growth. The Raphaelite Institute Newsletter, Vol. 6, No. 2, November 1989.
Psychospiritual Perspectives on Suffering the Pain of Death in Spirituality and Death, edited by Kenneth Doka and John Morgan, Baywood Press, 1992.