People seek therapy for a variety of reasons and with a variety of needs. My approach varies based upon what your issues, needs and goals are. A critical element common to all successful treatments however, is attentive interest in understanding what you are experiencing and a thoughtful engagement with you in a therapeutic process aimed to find relief and healing.
Treatment begins with a narrative exploration of what brought you to therapy as we work together to identify and examine areas in need of attention. Working to make you feel understood is the beginning of the “therapeutic process.”
After this preliminary “evaluation,” we then decide how best to approach resolving the problem. While this process may take a variety of forms – problem solving, development of coping skills, managing self-destructive behaviors, etc. – the heart of treatment is us working together to
processand understand your experiences.
This process may, for example, lead you to:
- Recognize what you need to do to change your situation
- Deal with situations and other people in new ways
- See and understand yourself in new ways
- Stop blaming, shaming and devaluing yourself and develop healthier self-esteem and peace of mind
- Put old demons to rest
- Come to terms with bad things that have happened and renew yourself
- Grieve losses
- Understand your own behaviors differently so you are not unwittingly contributing to interpersonal difficulties
- Resolve relationship issues
- Develop better boundaries
- Find resolution to a specific problem
While psychotherapy is often thought of a symptom-relief process, and it does involve relief of symptoms, I find it more meaningful to think of therapy as a psychological
healing process. Psychological symptoms are expressions of internal distress. This distress is usually the primary concern of therapy.
I provide a safe place for you to express yourself, to be yourself, to get things in perspective and resolve the problems that bring you into treatment. Having a safe place to talk with someone can make all the difference in the world. For 35 years, the cornerstone of my approach has been to provide a compassionate, insightful and private refuge from the world, a sanctuary for reflecting, healing and re-gearing.
Whether you need to regain control of your life or to find a new direction, I will work with you to find ways to attain what you need for your psychological health and well-being.