GERIATRIC & LONGTERM CARE SERVICES PROVIDED
- Resident Support Groups are based on a model of group process work with geriatric residents developed by Jeffrey Kauffman and conducted at the following facilities:
Haverford Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Haverford, PA, 19861989; 19901991. The Belvedere, Chester, PA, 1987. Plymouth House Health Care Center, Plymouth Meeting, PA, 19871988. Fair Acres Geriatric Center, Lima, PA, 19871989 (4 simultaneous groups); 19901994 (6 simultaneous groups) Ross Manor, Ridley Park, PA, 19871989. Workmen’s Circle Home, Media, PA, 19871989; 19901991. Church Lane Health Center, Broomall, PA, 19871989. Chateau Health Care Center, Bryn Mawr, PA, 19881989. Mary Drexel Home, Bala Cynwyd, PA, 19901991. Mercy Douglas (Provided for Albert Einstein Hospital, Mental Health Services to Nursing Homes), 19911992. Stephen Smith (Provided for Albert Einstein Hospital, Mental Health Services to Nursing Homes), 19921993.
- InService Training/Support Group for Nurses Aides on the emotional and mental health needs of patlents and themselves:
Haverford Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Haverford, PA, 1988. Main Line Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Paoli, PA, 1988. This training was also provided at fifteen other nursing homes receiving mental health services through the Consortium Mental Health Center, 1988-89.
- InService Training/Support Group for Nurses on the emotional and mental health needs of patients and themselves
Haverford Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Haverford, PA, 1987.
- Management Team Support Group and InService Training in leadership and communication skills and resolving special management problems
Main Line Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Paoli, PA, 1988. Chateau Health Care Center, Bryn Mawr, PA, 1989. New Ralston House, Philadelphia, PA, 1991.
- Administrators Management Skills Seminars
DelPres Corporation’s Nursing Home Administrators, 1988.
- InService Training Program for Nursing Home Administrators Diverse ongoing programming to meet CEU for nursing home administrators’ re-licensing. State approved provider of NHA credits, 1989.
- Nursing Home Staff Training Program A Model Building Project
A proposal for a demonstration project providing psychosocial training to nurses’ aides and nurses. Conceived, authored, facilitate and coordinated project. Sponsored by DelPres Foundation. Submitted to Center for Nursing, U.S. Public Health Service. Grant approved but not funded due to 1990 Federal budget cuts.
- Social Service Consultant Supervision to facility social worker and for patient psychosocial care.
Workman’s Circle Home, Media, PA, 19881991; Mary Drexel Home, Bala Cynwyd, PA, 19901992.
- Consultation with Social Service Department and Development of Family Support Groups Manchester House, Media, PA, 1987.
- Social Service Workers at Nursing Homes (SSWANH)
Loss issues in the Nursing Home, Annual Conference, 1990. Taking Care of Oneself, Annual Meeting, 1991. Losses and the Holidays, 1991.
- The Certificate Program at SSWANH
Program development consultant to SSWANH to develop training programs for Nursing Home Social Workers. Presenter on mental health, stress management and other topics for the training program.1992
- Facilitate family support groups
Chateau Health Care Center, 1989; Mary Drexel Home, 1990; 1991.
- Debriefing group for residents and staff after resident suicide
Workmen’s Circle, Media, PA, 1989.
- Consultant for individual and family therapy for residents and their families:
Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, Haverford, PA, 1987present. Workmen’s Circle Home, Media, PA, 19871991. Ross Manor, Ridley Park, PA, 19881989. Chateau Health Care Center, Bryn Mawr, PA, 19881989. Mary Drexel Home, Bala Cynwyd, PA, 19901992. Fair Acres, Lima, PA, 19901994. Wallingford Nursing Home, Wallingford, PA, 1993. Includes regular meetings with caregiving staff on skilled care & Alzheimers’ units to discuss residents’ mental health needs.
- Job Corps, Healthcare Vocations Training Advisory Committee (especially for issues relating to psychosocial aspects of patient care) Philadelphia Satellite, 19881992.
- Psychosocial Care of the Nurse’s Aide The Ethics of Dignity
Penn State University,. Professional Education Program for Nursing Home Administrators, April, 1989; October, 1989. Temple University, Ambler, PA, February, 1990; November, 1992.
- Training Module for Nursing Assistants on Dealing wlth Death, Dying and Mourning
Workmen’s Circle, Media, PA, August 1989.
- Psychosocial Needs of the Nursing Home, A training seminar for all staff:
Mary Drexel Home, Bala Cynwyd, PA, April 1990; Workmen’s Circle Home, Media, PA, July 1990; Harlee Manor, Springfield, PA, September 1990.
Consulting for Nursing Home Psychosocial Providers:
Consortium MH/MR Center:
- Pew Foundation grant to develop mental health services for nursing homes. Provided fourteen hour training for Nursing Assistants as psychosocial caregivers, a Mental Health inservice for nursing assistants. Provided at fifteen sites. Other mental health services and consultation also provided.
- Consulting for geriatric partial hospitalization. Evaluate partial hospitalization and geriatric mental health outreach services, 1991.
The Thomas Jefferson LongTerm Care Institute, Center for the Study of Geropsychiatry, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Jefferson Medical College.
Trainer and Consultant. Psychosocial specialist on the LongTerm Care Institute consulting team.
- Curriculum Development and Trainer, Geriatric Case Manager Training Program, Episcopal Community Services, 1989-1990.
- OBRA training program for Nursing Assistants. Teach psychosocial part of training. Ongoing courses begun January 1990.
- The Role of the Social Worker on the Geriatric Team, for course on Elderly Health Care Needs. College of Allied Health Sciences, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, March 1990.
Other Geriatric Services:
- Death, Dying and Bereavement, for the Metropolitan Homemaker Service, Philadelphia, PA, February,
1989; July, 1989; October, 1990; March, 1991; April, 1991; August 1991.
- Bereavement and Loss, Elder Med at Suburban General Hospital, April, 1990.
- Member of Philadelphia Mental Health-Aging Advocacy Committee, Philadelphia Office of Mental Health, 1990-1994.
- Member of Philadelphia Aging-Mental Retardation Program Study Committee, Philadelphia, Office of Mental Health, 1991.
- Psychological and Spiritual Challenges of the Losses Experienced in Aging, for Northwest Interfaith Movement Conference on Aging and Spirituality, 1992.
- BucksMont Congress On Aging Education. Dying Well, Caring Well. Keynote Address on the Decision Making Process that Accompanies Long Term and Terminal Illness. May, 1995
- Integrating Mental Health Services in Senior Centers. For Senior Center Center Directors, Delaware, Montgomery and Chester Counties. Sponsored by American Day Treatment Center, Bryn Mawr, March 1997.
- Aging and Mental Retardation. Workshop sponsored by the Philadelphia Offices of Aging and Mental Retardation. September, 1997.
- Dealing With Loss Issues. Staff of Friendship Circle Senior Center. Darby, PA. November, 1999.
Program Development and Training Consultant to Aging System:
- Geriatric Mental Health Consultant and Training Programs on Aging and Mental Health:
- Facilitate and administer a series of workshops to mobilize mutuality and cooperative action between mental health agencies, health care agencies, and services for the aged in West Philadelphia. Program also provided education on geriatric issues of concern to those service providers. Under a grant to the Consortium given by the Philadelphia Corporation on Aging, 1989.
- Training Program for Philadelphia Corporation on Aging PreAssessment Team, LAMP program on Mental Health issues, June 1991. Under a special grant from the Philadelphia Office of Mental Health.
- PA Care Management Institute: Loss and Mourning, training seminar, July 1991. Loss and the Holidays, December 1991. Termination Phase of the Care Management Process, August 1992.
- Alzheimers Association of Greater Philadelphia. Seminar on Loss and Mourning for Veteran Support Group Facilitators, May 1994.
- American Day Treatment Center, Bryn Mawr. Adaptation and Aging: Issues of Elders and Geriatric Caregivers. Keynote Address 10th anniversary celebration. Oct. 1996.